Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas ends in the desert

Thus our Christmas in the desert is coming to an end. My parents are loading their car in preparation for their 20-hour drive back to the Lone Star state and the welcoming arms of San Antonio. My sister is working on breakfast, determined to send them out with a full stomach.

Mom and Dad will take a break in El Paso, Texas, where they will spend the night. Then on Tuesday, they will pull back on to that black ribbon and finish the rest of their excursion. They take with them the same they brought; them, my sister-in-law and my niece. My sister-in-law and niece have been staying with them for more than a year now and will continue to do so until my brother can afford to bring them to Kimball.

I am sure, when my sister, Kara, and now my nephew, one of her sons, finish breakfast, the rest of the family will rise and partake of the food. Then the tears will flow as we say good-bye to the first group of departures.

With dry eyes, and lingering sniffles, we will shuffle back into my sister’s home to wait for our turn to leave. For us the return trip will not be as long as my parents. We will head to Phoenix international Airort (Sky Harbor) this evening, board a silver eagle, and land less than two hours later in Denver.

As many of you know, security is tight at airports so our good-byes will be done hurriedly at the curb. Not exactly a Hallmark moment. But it is better than nothing.

Kara and her family graciously gave up their home for the convergence of Cossels on their home. IN total they allowed 11 people to live in their home for a week. They gave up their beds, their food, and their general sanity to make sure we were all comfortable. I thank them immensely for it.

Overall it was a great trip. I got to spend time with my nephews who live in Arizona, Michael, 11, Jimmy, 8, Dylan, 6. I was able to see Kerry, 9, who is my Brother Ben’s son, who left Pine Bluffs back in June. And of course my only niece, Heather, 2, who will be moving to Kimball soon.

I got to know my brother-in-law, Tucker, a little better. This is one of the things I am most pleased about this trip. Tucker and my sister have been together for several years now, but I haven’t been able to spend much time with them. Tucker is a great guy and wonderful addition to our family. Good job Kara!

Still, despite all this I am ready to come home. There is nothing like home, and your own kitchen, your own routine and your own, well, everything. I know my back is desperately looking forward to my own bed. Although tonight I really won’t be able to enjoy it.

Our flight will arrive in Denver just before 11 p.m. tonight (Monday). By the time we get to luggage claim, get our luggage and then walk to our vehicle, it will be closer to 12 a.m. We will arrive in Kimball around 2 and then finally fall into bed at 30 minutes later. Before I know it, my alarm will sound and I will begrudgingly drag myself out of bed and prepare for my first day back to work.

No rest for the wicked I guess. That’s ok, I will be happy to do it.