Thursday, June 21, 2012

Getting the itch again


I think a part of me is seeing the potential for change. I don't mean physical appearance - although that is changing dramatically - instead, I mean a change in what I do. 

A few years ago I wrote about feeling the urge to do something a bit more poignant with my life. As a result, I joined the volunteer Fire Dept. And, for the year I was a part of it, felt like I was doing something that mattered. Being a firefighter filled me with pride and gave me the feeling of, "Yes, what I do matters."

I left the dept. when I moved away from Kimball. It was hard, but the prospect of a better future in the newspaper industry was hard to turn down - providing for my family matters more than anything. 
So now, a year out of the fire dept. I feel like I need to do something more. Something that matters. 

If Sheridan had a volunteer dept. it would make life a lot easier. I would simply go down there and apply. I would, hopefully, be able to call upon my former chief for a letter of recommendation to carry with me. But, alas, they do not. 

So I look into other options. 

Sure, there is the Lions and Rotary, but they don't seem to achieve the same rank on the Matter Meter that, say, a firefighter does. Or even an EMT. 

I just need to keep my eyes open for the next opportunity that presents itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment