Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I want to learn how to play the ukulele!


The other night, while watching The Newsroom, Coldpaly's “Fix You” came on. It was used as the background music as the staff scrambles to put together the breaking broadcast of Congresswoman Gabrielle Gifford and 18 of her staff being shot in Tucson.

While I find the song particularly moving, it flowed perfectly with the show. Whoever paired it did a fantastic job.

I first heard this song on May 14th. The day I decided it was time to own my life. That was the day I saw Arthur Boorman's video about his weight-loss transformation. I remember, someone posted it on Facebook with the tagline, watch this.

It hit me at such a perfect time. I had been struggling with weight loss since January and was feeling completely defeated. So when I watched this video and I heard that song, I knew I had found what I was looking for. I choked back the tears and I said to myself, I want that. But that is another story all together.

After we finished watching The Newsroom, Sheree asked me if we had that song on Itunes. Of course we do, I replied. See, after I heard the song back in May, I knew I had to have it. It took me a couple of days to find out who sang it and when I did I purchased it on Itunes. The song is my inspiration song. When I am feeling defeated in the weight loss fight, I listen to the song and get recharged.

This, then, is what the music does.

I have said it so much on my blog that folks are probably getting sick of hearing about it. I would wager that more than 75% of the posts on here are about or have references to music in them.

But that's me; music is a huge part of who I am.
I often wish I would learn to play my guitar better. I have two wonderful instruments that, for the most part, are sitting there collecting dust.

I wish I could write a song, but somehow the words don't sound good when I put them to paper. And getting the words and music to work in tandem is often tedious, to say the least.

One day I will get better.

I declared this weekend I want to learn how to play the ukelele. I am really not sure why, it just sounds like a fun instrument to play. Please restrain yourself from the “fat guy with a ukulele thoughts” because believe me, I had them! And yes, I chuckled at it. And yes, I still want to learn how to play it.


No comments:

Post a Comment