Monday, October 11, 2010

Farmer's Day and an apology owed

Wow, 125 years. That’s how old Kimball is. I am not sure that I have ever taken part in a 125 year celebration of any town. Actually, I don’t think I have ever been a part of a 100 year celebration. I think it is pretty neat.
This year’s Farmers Day looks to be one pretty full of activities. The committee appears to have pulled out all the stops to make this year successful. I thank them for that. We went ahead and printed a schedule of events further on in the paper. Our hope is that people will be able to use it to map out the day. I know we did.
Just in case you were wondering, this is the 84th annual Farmers Day. The city os turning 125. The Observer also turned 125 this year. Another entity celebrating a birthday this year is the Kimball Volunteer Fire Department. They are celebrating their 100th year. That means 100 years of volunteers keeping this town and county safe.
These festivals are cause for celebration. People come back from out of town, friends come to visit and more. Please remember if you are drinking to be safe. Designate a driver if you are out, or know the limit if you are  alone. Keep in mind I said "the" limit, not your limit.
With that being said, here's to Farmers Day! May your day be fun and safe!
On a side note, i feel like I owe an apology to the Kimball Concert Association. Every year these folks work pretty hard to bring music to Kimball. A little culture if you will. They came in to our offices, more specifically Jean Barrett came in and asked that we run a press release for them regarding their membership drive.
You know, they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I guess you need to add a brick for me. I had the best intentions to run their release but it simply got lost in the shuffle. And, as I am sure you can gather by know, it did not run. My fault.
So, to the concert association I say, "I am sorry."
To everyone else out there, these folks have some neat performers lined up for this year. Make sure you contact them to see how you can become a member or get tickets for the shows. I am sure you will not be remiss.
That's it folks. I think I have hit a dry well when it comes to my column writing. Hopefully next week will be better.