Thursday, October 21, 2010

What's with these dreams

For about a month now I have been having a dream with a similar theme. I am locked in some sort of conflict with an unseen foe. The foe is not actively trying to kill me or anyone around me, but I can tell there is an overwhelming feeling that the foe must go.
I am not one to analyze my dreams. I know there are several schools of thoughts on dreams, some believe that they are your subconscious trying to tell you something, while others contend it is your brains way of blowing off stored up energy. I think I am somewhere in the middle.
I do not think that dreams are an oracle; however, I do think it could be our mind trying to work out potential problems in our lives.
As to the stored up energy theory, I can see that to some extent. There are times that I fall asleep long before I am able to compress the thoughts or happenings of the day and file them away. But I am no psychologist.
When I was younger I used to get night terrors. For those of you who are unaware of what a night terror is, it is a stage of intense fear or agitation experienced upon waking. It doesn’t always have to be related to a dream.
There were times when I would wake up screaming. My screams would be so intense that my parents would come running into my room, fearful of what they might find. Dad used to tell me that when they would find nothing in the room with me, he would be looking over his shoulder.
It is amazing that something completely unknown or unseen can have that kind of effect on us. Thankfully I don’t have those anymore.
It is pretty early this morning as I am writing this. I can see my dogs through the glass on the back door, shivering in the chilly air. The temperature is a brisk 38 degrees. Do animals dream? I would think they do.
At times I have seen them sleeping, making barking sounds, and twitching. It is as if they are running away or to something.
I have also heard them whimpering like they are being hurt. I don’t think they are affected by dreams the same way as you and I though. Because when I call their name they often jump up and run to me with their tails wagging. So much for the nightmare.
I guess that is about it for me this week. Sorry, I know this one is kind of lacking.
Before I sign out I would like to take a moment to congratulate the Kimball athletes. These kids have done an excellent job this season. Cross country is sending two to state, the girls golf team went to state, and volleyball is greatly improved over last season.
As to our football team. What an amazing job. They are 5-2 on the season with one game left. Chadron.
I know the team has struggled against Chadron in the past but I can’t help but feel this year will be different. These boys beat Gordon-Rushville when others feared they wouldn’t. They are playing with the hearts of champions. Just remember, and I am talking directly to the team, do not get over confident. At any point Chadron can beat you. Don’t let them. Control the game from the start. Show Chadron that you are in charge. Walk in there with your heads and your spirits high. You seniors, this is your last chance. Many of you have played together since your time with the Sharks. Do not let your regular season end in defeat. Ride this wave of victory that you set in motion. Beat Chadron before you ever play them. Then beat them again.
GO BIG RED!

No comments:

Post a Comment