Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Occupy what? I am not sure I understand the message

Occupy Wall Street has risen its head here in Sheridan, Wyo. I saw the protesting 99%s standing in front of the Wells Fargo on main street. All ten or so of them.

I'll admit, when I saw them I thought, "I should be out there with them." And the thought stuck with me as we continued about our business. We had to pick up winter coats for the family and then go buy some food. All-in-all it took us about an hour.

As we drove home it started to rain. We drove past the Wells Fargo and wouldn't you know it, the protestors were gone. I guess they don't have the same conviction as those in New York.

I am extremely confused on the whole OWS situation. At first I thought the point was to express how upset people are that the folks on Wall Street weren't being held accountable for their actions. Actions that helped to lead to the current economic situation.

Now, I don't know what they are protesting. Bank fees? Unemployment? How unfair life is? What is it? Why is there no clear concise voice? Or, have I missed it all together?

I read a Facebook posting from one of the Occupiers that said the person wouldn't be able to look their child in the eyes if they didn't protest. Really? Then, the same person took time out from protesting to take the child out for Halloween fun. Guess protesting can only be done when other things don't get in the way.

Sadly I think the protestors who are actually trying to make a difference have been infiltrated by those who just want to ride a band wagon.

"Dude! I was at Occupy (insert city name here) it was awesome!"

I agree that something should be done to those execs on Wall Street who are getting fat off of the rest of us. Especially those doing it illegally. Kinda like MF Global who has alleged shortcomings in their client funds. This is sparking a probe by the FBI.

I watched a video this morning posted by MoveOn.org and I must say it is the first video that made any sense on the whole OWS. I posted it to my Facebook wall. Watch it. If that doesn't get you worked up….

I have said for the last couple of years that banks, The Fed and Execs on Wall Street need to be held accountable. Sadly, I don't think it will happen.

I think true reform will come from getting the lobbyist and life-long politicians out of Washington, D.C.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I think the point is that something needs to be done, that we the 99% are now at a point of being nearly powerless with monied interest having bought and paid for the system. Therefor it's near impossible to fix the system just by tossing the bums out. I also think the statement about an Occupier saying one thing and then taking their kid out is a bit unfair - look at the make up of most of these protestors - its dishonest to call them (not that you did) hippies and anarchists and what have you - these are by and large regular people that want to say something but do have to balance life at the other end of it. If that means you protest in the morning, run home, spend some time with your kid trick or treating and then are back out there and at it - to me that's a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how I see it as a success though. I get the whole idea of doing what you can. Yet, does doing what you can only count when it is convenient?

    I support the OWS movement, I truly do. However, I can not afford to picket because I would lose my job and everything else I have worked for.

    And, to some extent, I agree that throwing the bums out isn't the single fix that we need. But it is a huge step in the right direction.

    I voted for President Obama because I wanted change. I had "Hope" that things would be different. But they are not. How do we get that change? Is the OWS movement getting us anywhere? I don't know.

    So where do we go from here? How do we get involved if we can't go down to the front lines?

    ReplyDelete