Monday, January 23, 2012

Is it time to give it up?

As my age hovers closer and closer to the 40 year mark, I am starting to look at myself and truly question some of my actions. now, I am not doing any self reflecting here, just looking at the things I do in my day-today activities and wonder if it is necessary for me to do it. Or, perhaps, is it time for me to make a change?

For several years I have been a gamer. I play all types of games; console, computer, table top, card, board and dice. I have collected books, cards, miniatures and digital gear. I wouldn't say it defines who I am, but it definitely plays a big part.

Recently I have decided to venture back into the realm of TCGs (Trading card Games for those who don't know) with the World of Warcraft TCG and Magic: The Gathering.

Historically games were a great way to meet people. I could head down to my local card/comic shop and search the billboards for postings of people looking for like minded players. I have made some lasting friendships this way - Rob Maes, Denny Aaron Carter, Kit and Jem Larson, to list a couple.

With computer games, especially MMO's, I have met even more. Granted, I have never met these people in a face-to-face setting, the relationships are just as lasting.

So the thought was maybe I could meet some folks here in Sheridan, Wy. that play card games. But, for the first time ever, I am apprehensive about my decision.

See, gamers are a pretty unique crowd. In this case, most stereotypes do apply. They are often smelly because the fail to shower, geeky, socially inept and dysfunctional, and all around out of their elements in normal circumstances outside the realm of their games. They can be argumentative about the games, rule mongering and much more.

I will say I am none of these things. I am very clean, I read the rules but am willing to bend them for the spirit of the game, I would rather play a game than argue about it, and I do well in non-game environments.

Plus, I am approaching 40! I would think that at this point I would be the old guy at the game nights that all the kids would quietly make fun of. I know, I did it!Add to this mix the fact that I am married (yes, I am a male gamer who actually got married) and I have kids! Shock I know, most gamers only aspire for the next great gaming moment, I actually aspired for marriage and family; and I had sex! Surprise, surprise.

So now I have to wonder if it is time to give it up. Time to finally say, "I'm a big kid now!" (Yes I know, that's a reference to a diaper commercial but it seemed oddly apropos)

4 comments:

  1. what i just ready is that i to am a gamer but i to am maried but i love games and have found people that i can play a card game with i like sitting down and playing rummy or somthing diffrent then consoal game or puter games but i to think it is time i started looking for people my own age and get to know people see games were my safe zone but now it is time to leve it and go out and make frends

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you have to leave your "safe zone" but it doesn't hurt to go out and meet people. I try to stay pretty active; trips to the YMCA, hiking in the mountains; and so on. I would think you could find a way to balance your gaming with a social life.

    If you don't mind, please leave your name, especially if you know me in some way. It's always nice to address people by their names! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Patrick,

    Don't think we know each other but I found your blog through a Google search for--of all things--Rodney Duncan. See I was at NPHS too (would've been class of 1990 but switched to Lathrop as a junior then moved out of AK altogether) every now and then you get curious about people you knew in the past. I always remembered Mr. Duncan's funny pronunciation of "schedule" like "shed-yool" and of course I think of him every time I see the word "tintinnabulation"--one of his vocab words (how could I forget it--lol).

    BUT that's not what I want to talk about. I got hooked on multiplayer online games a couple years back when Battlefield: Bad Company was released. Played it on my younger brother's PS3--then went out and bought the game and a brand new PS3 so I could play it myself. I've found quite a few of us 30 somethings enjoy playing these games. Like anything else you have to keep it in bounds and not get carried away. But in moderation I find it to be a fantastic way to have fun and socialize at the same time. I have become friends with all the regulars I squad up with and the great thing is that they are from all over the country and even overseas. I'll bet there are a lot of Gen Xers out there who enjoy it as much as we do.

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesse,

    I think you are right. I enjoy MMOs, card games and other games. Why should I stop playing them. Especially now since my oldest son is showing an interest. This weekend I intend to teach him how to play Magic: The Gathering. Not sure who is more excited, him or me.

    On a side note, I found Mr. Duncan on Facebook and quickly added him as a friend. He was one of my favorite teachers at NPHS.

    Thanks for stopping by Jesse!

    ReplyDelete